Commercial Vehicles on Parkways Fine
Why is it Illegal for Commercial Vehicles to Drive on Parkways?
When New York State’s parkway system was created, it wasn’t designed for commercial vehicles. The parkways use low stone bridges that often have an overhead clearance that is less than 14 feet. This makes these roads unsuitable for tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles. Without receiving specific authorization from the NYSDOT that allows you to travel on these roads, it’s otherwise illegal.
But often commercial drivers that aren’t familiar with any area will end up on a parkway. This can lead to drivers hitting bridges or getting stuck under a bridge.
What Can I Expect?
By disobeying traffic regulations and driving on a parkway, you can expect:
- Fines and points on your CDL
- Towing fees in excess of $10,000 for tractor trailers
- Reimbursement costs to the state for bridge repair
- Out-of-service violations for the driver and CMV
Why You Need a Local Lawyer?
When you get caught driving a commercial vehicle on a parkway, you’re probably going to face some serious penalties. Many trucking companies don’t initially realize the severity of these situations, but finding an attorney is almost always necessary.
Traffic Lawyer Casey Raskob has handled these types of cases since 1978, so he not only has the experience needed to sort these situations out, but he’s visited practically every court from Albany to Montauk. As a lawyer, this means that he knows a lot of the judges within these courts, and knows the approach needed to secure a better deal from them. If you’re faced with a ticket for driving on a parkway, call 1-914-271-5383 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.
Avoiding New York’s Downstate Parkways
Downstate New York is filled with parkways that prohibit commercial vehicles, including tractor trailers. If you’re unfamiliar with Downstate, you’ll want to avoid driving on these roadways.
- Taconic State Parkway – Columbia, Dutchess, Putnam, and Westchester
- Bear Mountain Parkway – Westchester County
- Saw Mill River Parkway – Westchester County
- Bronx River Parkway – Westchester County
- Cross County Parkway – Westchester County
- Hutchinson River Parkway – Westchester County
- Sprain Brook Parkway – Westchester County
- Long Mountain Parkway – Orange County
- Palisades Interstate Parkway – Orange and Rockland
- Lake Welch Parkway – Rockland County
New York City
- Bronx River Parkway – The Bronx
- Hutchinson River Parkway – The Bronx
- Mosholu Parkway – The Bronx
- Pelham Parkway – The Bronx
- Henry Hudson Parkway – The Bronx and Manhattan
- FDR Drive – Manhattan
- Harlem River Drive – Manhattan
- Cross Island Parkway – Queens
- Grand Central Parkway – Queens
- Jackie Robinson Parkway – Queens & Brooklyn
- Belt Parkway – Queens & Brooklyn
- Korean War Veteran’s Parkway – Staten Island
- Bethpage State Parkway – Nassau County
- Loop Parkway – Nassau County
- Meadowbrook State Parkway – Nassau County
- Wantagh State Parkway – Nassau County
- Northern State Parkway – Nassau and Suffolk
- Ocean Parkway – Nassau and Suffolk
- Southern State Parkway – Nassau and Suffolk
- Heckscher Parkway – Suffolk County
- Robert Moses Causeway – Suffolk County
- Sagtikos Parkway – Suffolk County
- Sunkeen Meadow Parkway – Suffolk County